Monday, July 7, 2014

First Day at the Office!

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I knew part of this trip would be continuing my somewhat workaholic lifestyle, and that was certainly true on my first Monday in Melbourne. I was beat last night and could not do much more than eat, snooze, and read my book while staying up late enough to get in some calls (Google Hangouts with Chris and Sam and daily conference call with the IT scrum master) with the East coast.

The day started out early as they all have so far. I toss and turn a lot between 3 and 6. Yesterday I went for my first early morning run in the city. Kelly told me about the Tan Track which goes around the Royal Botanical gardens. She said I would be safe even on a short winter day's morning, and like everything else, Kelly was right. :-) it was the perfect length to run around (2.61 miles according to the Nike Running app) and we'll lit. There were a lot of Aussies out running in shorts and Tshirts or walking their dogs in heavy coats. But my favorite was an American drill sergeant barking out commands to his fit recruits, who dutifully counted out their jumping jacks.


A short walk to the office and I was recognized right away at reception. The crew there were so welcoming and friendly, introducing me to everyone and showing me around the office. I had a couple of really productive meetings; I think we can accomplish twice as much in person as on the phone. Really. So great to meet people I have talked to over and over again. We went to a nice place for coffee, where no one blinked an eye when I ordered my coffee properly (flat white). I guess that's good, but I was so proud of myself, having never heard these coffee description till Sunday. (Thank you, Ewa).

Lunch was more rushed, but supplemented by some fresh fruit that is always in the office. Imagine that! And I put my orange peels into the compost rather than the landfill.

Wiide awake and feeling great on Day 2!

1 comment:

  1. Are there two people called Ewa with you? Just had a video chat with you. Flat world indeed!

    ReplyDelete