Saturday, July 5, 2014

First Evening in the City


So I got the internet thing worked out. WiFi here is just not like at home and I removed my SIM card to avoid potentially expensive internet and phone connections. A friend at work (Kelly, the same one who suggested that I write a blog) has been here twice. She loaned me her Optus device, which basically creates a personal hot spot. I didn't know how to use it, though, and there wasn't any memory left. The friendly folks at the Optus store fixed all that, so now I am good to go. Here's what this thingy looks like, charging off my laptop. 

Here's Capt Flinders with a pigeon on his head.

Next up was the Immigration Museum, which is close to where I am staying. It was fantastic! A world class museum. But I was really yawning around 4:00 and left for a nap. Glad I set an alarm because that was a deep sleep! Guess this is what they all meant about the jet lag. :-)

I forced myself up and ate dinner at the apartment, then went out to explore. Kelly recommended the self-guided walking tours, so I tried an abbreviated version of one of them, skipping some detours through a garden I couldn't really see at night.

First, Federation Sq at night. 

My first alley exploration. I've read that Melbourne comes alive in the alleys at night.

St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Lutheran church next door.

Which I will not be visiting because the services are in German!

Old Treasury Building.



1 comment: